ESL Music Ideas - Simple Tenses - Coldplay - Sparks


Coldplay is one of the most famous musical groups in the world. Students have already been listening to their music, so bringing it into the classroom is an easy transition. They will enjoy using Coldplay songs to practice their listening.

"Sparks" was one of Coldplay's first singles, and it is still one of their best songs. It was featured in the movie Wedding Crashers.

The song is good for a listening class because it uses all three simple verb tenses. These include simple present, future, and past.

Using this song in a beginner listening class allows students to develop their understanding of the three tenses together.

It is also good for beginners because the singer does not sing very fast. Christ Martin's style of singing is somewhat slow, so the beginner students can follow along.


Here is the music video with the lyrics. If you would like an online listening exercise for the students, check out this link:

Coldplay Sparks Listening Exercise



Enjoy the video






Lyrics
Sparks
Coldplay

Did I drive you away?
I know what you'll say.
You'll say, "Oh, sing one we know"
But I promise you this,
I'll always look out for you.
That's what I'll do.

Singing aaaa...
Singing aaaa...

My heart is yours.
It's you that I hold on to.
That's what I'll do.
But I know I was wrong,
And I won't let you down.
(Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah I will, yes I will…)

Singing aaa...
Crying aaa...



Yeah I saw sparks,
Yeah I saw sparks,
And I saw sparks,
Yeah I saw sparks,
Singing out.

La, la, la, la, oh…
La, la, la, la, oh…
La, la, la, la, oh…
La, la, la, la, oh…

No comments:

Post a Comment